UO Distance Education

Distance Education Regulations

To address the sometimes prohibitive fees imposed by states whose residents pursue classes from institutions in other states, UO is a participating SARA (State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement) institution. States and US territories that are members of SARA agree to impose no additional fees on institutions from SARA states.

If a current student moves to a state other than the state where the student was physically present when admitted into the program, continuation within the program will depend on the availability of the program within the new state where the student is physically present. It is the student’s responsibility to notify the institution of a change in physical presence.

Map of the United States with Alabama and Maryland colored red, and all other states colored green.

Distance Education Regulations State Authorizations Map
Dark Red: UO does not currently accept students from these states.
Light Green: UO may offer online courses in these states (i.e., any state on the map without a label.)

For the latest information on federal regulations on distance education, visit the WCET Advance website.

Distance Education Complaint Process

If a student has a complaint about a grade obtained in a course, the student should attempt to address the concern with the instructor of record for the course. If the student is unable to resolve the grade complaint with the instructor, the student may choose to submit a Scholastic Review Committee (SRC) petition.

Students should direct inquiries regarding conduct complaints to the UO Dean of Students.

While the University encourages students to work through internal university processes for resolution of their concerns, students may also file external complaints with the agencies identified below.

For complaints alleging consumer protection violations, including, but not limited to fraud and false advertising:

Oregon Department of Justice, Consumer Protection Division
Phone: 877-877-9392
Consumer Complaint Form

For complaints regarding discrimination/harassment or distance education:

The Higher Education Coordinating Commission for the State of Oregon
Phone: 503-378-5690

For complaints regarding accreditation and other quality of education concerns:

The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
Phone: 425-558-4224

Questions? Contact UO Academic Extension's Laura Sufka, program specialist, at 541-346-4231.